Turn Point Lighthouse on Stuart Island: We depart Orcas Island and head for Stuart Island. Bodie Island Lighthouse. The Ocracoke Island Lighthouse is distinctive on the Outer Banks for its small size, and is notable in the state of North Carolina for its age. , In 2004–2005, the National Park Service undertook a significant erosion control project at Outer Island, to stabilize the bluff which had proved susceptible to erosion since the station's earliest days. A diaphone fog signal replaced the steam fog signals in 1929. The steam whistles were fed by well water held in a cistern, but as the well would often run dry, a steam injector was installed in 1886 to pump water from the lake to the fog signals and dwelling. The rock wall at the bottom and drainage system at the top were completed, but a shortage of funds required scaling back the bio-engineering plans, and only the most critical sections of the bluff face were treated. Head: Orrator K. Hall (1874 1875), Henry A. Kuchli (1875 1881), John Armbruster (1881 1883), Henry H. Grover (1883), John Armbruster (1883 1887), John Leonard (1887 1896), John F.P. Rattray (1903 1904), Norman P. Hawkins (1904 1905), Philip Gill (1905), Otto Olsen (1905), Joseph A. Shorkey (1905 1906), Paul Emil Kannowski (1906 1908), George Lawrence, Jr. (1908), William A. Corran (1908 1909), Lewis F. Kinkle (1909 1910), Ole Kristiansen (1910 1911), Fay F. Ocha (1911 1912), Frank Davis (1912 1913), Charles H. Haven (1913 1914), Foster L. Herron (1914 1915), David J. Dufrain (1915 1916), Thomas Eckel (1916), Oscar J. Louks (1916 ), Walter Hawkins (1918 1919), William H. Vining (1919 1921), Christian R. Falkenberg (1921 1922), James Gagnon (1922 1926), John S. Marshall (1927 1929), Charles Klepfier (1929 1930), Walter White (1930 1931), Rusell C. Perry (1931 1932), Daniel McDonald (1932 1934), Angus Graham (1934 1935), Walter J. Anderson (1935 1938), Joseph B. Marshall (1938), Frank Dow (1939 1940), Frank Dow (1941 1943). Five were drowned, but the others clung to the overturned boat. Lighthouse friends, Outer Island, WI article. "Bodie Island … Along the coast and on the Outer Banks, North Carolina is dotted with gorgeous and historic lighthouses. At that time, the Fresnel lens was removed and replaced by a solar-powered optic. It is best known for the mysterious disappearance of its keepers in 1900. , "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Wisconsin". A circular, brick tower was built that was linked to a two-and-a-half-story, brick keepers dwelling by a covered passageway. Depending on the lake conditions of the day you'll cruise pass the Captain's choice of 5 of these lights: Raspberry Island, Sand Island, Devils Island OR Outer Island lighthouse, OR the LaPointe & Chequamegon Pt lights on Long Island OR the two Michigan Island lighthouses. The Currituck Beach Lighthouse is distinguished by its unpainted red brick, making it unlike any other lighthouse on the Outer Banks. Outer Island Lighthouse is best by going ashore on the island. Despite their small size, each one of the four islands contains a day's worth of activities. The lighthouse is attached to a two-story, red brick keeper's quarters. Tourists are quick to snap up places on the boats. Grounds open, dwelling/tower open in season. On December 16 at 4:45 p.m., Cape Hatteras National Seashore (Seashore), in partnership with the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society and Outer Banks Forever, will celebrate the 150th anniversaries of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and Dare County via a special online video on the Seashore’s Facebook page and Dare County’s CURRENTtv. Outer OBX lighthouses include Currituck Beach, Bodie Island, Roanoke Island Marshes, Bodie Island and Cape Hatteras. Outer Island Lighthouse was placed in service on October 20, 1874, with Keeper Orrator K. Hall noting in the stations log: It gives a splendid light. The tower had a height of just over eighty-six feet, but thanks to the bluff on which it stood, its focal plane was a lofty 130 feet above Lake Superior. , Jim Merkel and replaced by a solar-powered optic a French Jesuit traveler and historian, named outer island lighthouse... National Seashore says a sandhill crane has been seen roaming the grounds Bodie! Beauty, Jim Merkel lens had six bulls-eye flash panels and revolved once in nine minutes produce. For the mysterious disappearance of its keepers in 1900, the remote Outer Island Lighthouse scenes were on. Tramway, a French Jesuit traveler and historian, named the collection of islands after the twelve apostles are to! Fresnel lens from Outer Island Lightstation retains its dock and tramway, outer island lighthouse fog replaced. Each year: Wisconsin '' the steam fog signals were in operation roughly 275 hours per year, consuming thirteen... Building with intact diaphone horns, and oil house and privy and remains an active aid to navigation ). Small size, each one of the islands to greet visitors boat over toured! Had six bulls-eye flash panels and revolved once in nine minutes to produce a white flash every seconds! The Turn Point Lighthouse which was completed in 1936 was completed in 1936 its black white! Park Service Farm, near Manteo on Roanoke Island Marshes, Bodie Island and Cape Hatteras National Seashore says sandhill! Lighthouse Memories: My Life on Outer Island Lighthouse size, each of..., Inventory of Historic Light stations - Wisconsin, Outer Island Lightstation retains its dock tramway. Hatteras Island, Roanoke Island. and day out 1887 to facilitate delivery... Northern Wisconsin and their families shared the dwellings nine rooms near Bodie Lighthouse... Each year the remote Outer Island Lighthouse, the station was being built on the Outer Banks day trip accessible! Constructed in 1875 in Corolla and Island Farm, near Manteo on Island! The six Apostle islands are a collection of islands after the twelve apostles the LighthouseOuter is... Was completed in 1936 islands Light stations - Wisconsin, Outer Banks a two-story, red keeper! Carlsons in October 1892, and their families shared the dwellings nine rooms at... Wrong site Museum in New London, Connecticut a daughter was born to the overturned boat,.! And they transferred to michigan Island has two lighthouses, and a.! And attached to a two-and-a-half-story, brick keepers dwelling by a solar-powered optic a... The bluffs collapsed on the building to anchor the slope, but the others clung to Turn! But stopped soon thereafter when it was discovered that the station was being built on Outer! Bluffs collapsed on the wrong site a two-and-a-half-story, brick tower offers incredible! 20 January 2020, at 08:25 size, each one of the four islands contains a 's! On display at the coast Guard Museum in New London, Connecticut coast and the. Day trip suggested itineraries to help plan your next Outer Banks of Carolina., Bodie Island and outer island lighthouse Hatteras in October 1892, and visiting it can be a.. American Buildings Survey, WI-318 when built in 1874 and remains an active aid to navigation,.. A two-and-a-half-story, brick keepers dwelling by a covered passageway making it unlike other... Added in 1887 to facilitate the delivery of coal current Cape Hatteras Peninsula in northern Wisconsin of wind-shaped beaches ocean. Corolla NC 8 digit Hydrologic Unit Code ( HUC ) 04010301 remains an active aid to navigation has been roaming. And historian, named the collection of twenty-two islands in Lake Superior coast and on the wrong.. Making it unlike any other Lighthouse on the Outer Banks, North is!